- Payment Schedules
- Payment Failure
- Reimbursement/Funding of Services
- School Districts
- Cancellation due to Illness
- Notice to Discontinue Treatment/Change Therapy Time
- Late Returns
- Email and Telephone Consultation
- Right to Refuse or Discontinue Services
We are set up to accept cash, check, debit cards, credit cards or health saving account cards. Payment is expected at the time of the service.
An initial payment is required to be placed on our waiting list. For an evaluation or consultation, two payments, one for $360 and one for $90 should be submitted along with the required forms. The remainder of charges for an evaluation is due upon completion of the parent meeting. For therapy, two payments, one for $270 and one for $90 should be submitted along with the required forms. These initial payments will be held in your child’s chart until one week before your child’s scheduled appointment, at which time they will be deposited and will be applied towards services provided.
Because of the time committed to plan and prepare for your child’s appointment, refunds prior to the start of services will be provided as follows:
1) If you decide not to receive services from us prior to an appointment date and time being set, a full refund of all monies will be given.
2) Once a specific appointment has been set, cancellation of our services can be made with notice of more than one week before the appointment. For an evaluation or consultation, $360 will be returned and $90 is non-refundable. For therapy, $270 will be returned and $90 is non-refundable.
3) For cancellation of our services with a week or less notice there will be no refunds.
In the event that you make payment with a check which is returned by the bank without payment, you will have 7 days from the time you are notified to make alternate payment arrangements. You will be responsible for any bank fees or charges because of the returned check. In the event that a second check is returned for non-payment, bank fees plus a $25 bookkeeping and processing fee will be charged.
Any balance past due by more than 30 days shall be subject to interest charges of 1.5% per month, plus a $25 bookkeeping and processing fee per month.
Reimbursement/Funding of Services
Services provided are occupational therapy. For some children, services may or may not be considered “educationally necessary” or “medically necessary”. Our assessment of needs and recommendations will be done in an independent manner and will not attempt to answer funding or reimbursement issues.
While we do not bill insurance for you, we will assist you with the information you need to gain reimbursement (if out of network, outpatient occupational therapy is covered by your plan). Please let us know if your insurance company requests additional information in order to process a claim. While they may send you a letter which states that additional information has been requested, they do not always send us a request for that information.
School Districts School Districts typically have their own occupational therapist(s) or an existing contract with a specific agency. Schools only provide occupational therapy as a related service to special education. Therefore, a child generally must first qualify for special education services before individual occupational therapy will be considered. A school district is not required to provide occupational therapy services for a child attending a private school.
Our reports reflect what we have learned about your child from your information and from our work with the child. We cannot write a report telling a school district that they are not providing adequate services. We have not seen their services and have not observed your child in various school environments and programs. We will make recommendations on what would be beneficial for your child’s overall development, not a determination of therapy needs for the child’s educational program.
Appointments are a contract for the exclusive use of the therapist’s time. Parents will be charged the full session rate for no-shows. Please call to cancel if you are unable to make an appointment. Receipts for payments received due to a no-show or failed appointment will reflect no services given and are not eligible for reimbursement by your health insurance.
A limited number of advanced notice cancellations (more than 24 hours notice) for any reason, are provided without incurring a charge. The following are offered each season:
- 2 sessions during the Winter/Spring (beginning of January to mid-June)
- 2 sessions for the Summer schedule (mid-June to mid/late August)
- 2 sessions during Fall (mid/late August to end of the year)
For a child attending therapy twice weekly, 3 cancellations are allowed for each season. Cancellations beyond these numbers (excess cancellations), with more than 24 hours notice, will be charged at 1/2 the regular therapy rate.
The following days are considered holidays and are not counted in the allowed missed sessions. If you choose to schedule an appointment on the optional days, our usual cancellation policies apply.
- New Year’s Day (office is closed)
- President’s Day (if the office is open, scheduling an appointment is optional)
- Memorial Day (if the office is open, scheduling an appointment is optional)
- Fourth of July (the office is closed)
- Labor Day (if the office is open, scheduling an appointment is optional)
- Thanksgiving Day (the office is closed)
- Day after Thanksgiving (if the office is open, scheduling an appointment is optional)
- Christmas Day and New Year’s Day (the office is closed)
- The week between Christmas and New Years (if your child’s therapist is available, scheduling an appointment is optional)
*If your child’s therapist is available on the optional days listed above, you may be offered the opportunity to schedule a session. If you choose to schedule an appointment, our usual cancellation policies apply.
*If you celebrate a religious holiday, please let us know within 2 weeks of beginning therapy the specific date(s) and that (those) session(s) will not be counted.
*A cancellation, provided with a minimum of 24 hours notice, will not be counted if:
- A) you are able to schedule and attend a make-up session or;
- B) the therapist is able to schedule another appointment into your cancelled slot. Therefore, please provide as much advance notice as possible.
We have an answering machine, voicemail and secure messages through our online portal that can take your message 24 hours a day. However:
- For a same-day cancellation, please alert us with a phone call.
- Cancellations for reasons other than illness with less than 24 hours notice or a failed appointment (No Show) will be charged at the full therapy rate.
Cancellation Due to Illness
Cancelation due to illness with less than 24 hours notice, but prior to the scheduled therapy time will be charged at half the therapy rate. Please cancel if your child has had, within 24 hours of the therapy appointment, a fever, vomiting, diarrhea, pink eye, or any other contagious condition. We do not want to expose others to illness. If your child has some congestion (without discharge) and only slightly reduced energy, the therapist can generally work on less physically demanding tasks for that session.
Notice to Discontinue Treatment/Change Therapy Time
If you choose to discontinue therapy or decide to change the scheduled therapy time, you will need to provide 2 weeks notice prior to your last session. This means that your therapist will provide 2 more sessions following the date of notification, unless you are seen more than one time per week, it which case the number of sessions will equal the 2 weeks, multiplied by the number of times you regularly receive therapy per week. Payment for the last 2 sessions will be deducted from your deposit for final treatments. If the proper notice is not provided, you will need to pay the cancellation fee for any sessions not attended.
While we realize there are times a parent or caregiver may need to leave the clinic during the therapy session, we cannot have staff available and be responsible for monitoring/supervising the child once the therapy session is over. Therapy sessions are 50 minutes in length. Additional time will be charged at the regular therapy rate for late pick-up of a child.
Email and Telephone Consultation
We would like to work cooperatively with you and other professionals (physician, teacher, other therapists) to meet your child’s needs. For many reasons including confidentiality issues, we prefer NOT to use email. There will be no charge for telephone conversations/emails that use 10 or fewer minutes, up to 4 times per year. However, consultation fees (prorated at $175 per 50 minutes) are charged for phone or email that requires longer than 10 minutes or are more frequent than 4 times per year.
Right to Refuse or Discontinue Services
Our interpretation, recommendations and treatment plans are based, in part, on the history and information that you provide us. If information about your child’s medical/educational history, interventions and needs are withheld, misrepresented, altered or omitted, we reserve the right to terminate the services. Services may be refused or discontinued due to non-payment of services, aggressive behavior, lack of progress, lack of cooperation, or a poor match between the needs of the family and skills of the therapist.