An evaluation identifies the factors contributing to the functional difficulties the child is experiencing, allowing intervention to address the underlying problem(s). Recommendations are made on how to address the issues and may range from suggestions for at-home strategies and activities to in-clinic professional intervention.
The assessment of a child may include a combination of the parents’/guardians’ report of the child’s history, review of records, clinical observations and standardized and normed testing.
Areas assessed may include:
- Neurodevelopmental status and reflex maturation
- Sensory processing and sensory defensiveness
- Motor planning
- Daily living skills
- Gross and fine motor development
- Visual-motor integration
- Visual perception
Our comprehensive evaluation includes 2-3 hours of one-on-one testing, a written report highlighting the client’s strengths and areas of need, and a parent meeting to review the clinical findings and discuss the plan for treatment. The evaluation is an essential step in guiding the therapeutic process and the results of the assessment along with the specific concerns of the family will help identify goals to be addressed in the individual treatment sessions and home program recommendations.
Some possible assessment tools used during an evaluation include:
- Bruininks-Oseretsky Test of Motor Proficiency, 2nd Edition (BOT-2)
- Peabody Developmental Motor Scales, 2nd Edition (PDMS-2)
- DeGangi-Berk Test of Sensory Integration
- Miller Assessment for Preschoolers (MAP)
- Sensory Integration and Praxis Tests (SIPT)
- Developmental Test of Visual Perception, 3rd Edition (DTVP-3)
- Test of Visual Perceptual Skills, 3rd Edition, (TVPS-3)
- Beery-Buktenica Developmental Test of Visual-Motor Integration, 6th Edition (Beery VMI)
- The Print Tool
- Sensory Profile 2
- Sensory Processing Measure
If your child has received an occupational therapy assessment from another facility, please provide us with a copy. After reviewing the report, an occupational therapist can let you know if that assessment will be sufficient for moving directly into treatment.
If you would like to find out more about these services, please feel free to reach us at 408-865-1365.